Table of Contents
One of the most well-known open source initiatives in the world is Kubernetes. The project has been adopted by some of the largest companies and continues to increase. With this popularity comes a growing demand for qualified professionals who can deploy and manage Kubernetes clusters.
To meet this demand, the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) has created a certification program for Kubernetes. This certification is designed to validate an individual’s ability to deploy and manage Kubernetes clusters.
Everything an individual needs to know about the Kubernetes certification will be discussed in this article, including the exam format, topics covered, and test-taking strategies.
To learn Kubernetes, IPSpecialist is the best place. We offer online courses, study guides, e-books, practice questions, exam-cram notes, practice labs, digital certification, career advice, and assistance.
Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)
The CKA assesses the ability to deploy and configure a Kubernetes cluster and understand fundamental concepts.
The following areas are tested on the CKA exam:
- 8% – Application lifecycle management
- 12% – Installation, configuration & validation
- 19% – Core concepts
- 11% – Networking
- 5% – Scheduling
- 12% – Security
- 11% – Cluster maintenance
- 5% – Logging/monitoring
- 7% – Storage
- 10% – Troubleshooting
- To complete the assignments, candidates have two hours.
- A candidate might be able to obtain a voucher online for the exam, which has a $375 cost and a three-year validity.
- A candidate must get at least 66 percent to pass and get the certificate. Individuals are allowed one free retry if they make a mistake.
Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD)
The CKAD assesses the candidate’s knowledge of some fundamental ideas and their capacity to deploy and configure apps operating on the Kubernetes cluster. The CKAD exam will take two hours to complete, and a score of 66 percent or above is required to pass.
The candidate will be evaluated in the following categories for the CKAD exam:
- 13% – Core concepts
- 18% – Configuration
- 10% – multi-container pods
- 18% – Observability
- 20% – Pod design
- 13% – Services & networking
- 8% – State persistence
The following prerequisites must be satisfied by applicants before they may appear for the Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) exam:
- A solid understanding of Kubernetes and its features
- Experience working with Kubernetes in a production environment
- A strong understanding of Kubernetes internals
- A deep understanding of Kubernetes networking
- An in-depth understanding of Kubernetes security
- Familiarity with Kubernetes management tools
- The tasks must be finished in 2 hours by the candidates.
- Participants in the Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) exam will have 2 attempts (per exam registration) to an exam simulator.
- Candidates who lack the necessary qualifications may find it difficult to successfully finish the CKAD exam and may not pass.
Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS)
After obtaining CKA, the candidate can advance to the recently introduced Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist certification (CKS). This certification focuses on several aspects of protecting the Kubernetes environment, including protecting the cluster itself and the application code that runs in the cluster.
In the years to come, security will only increase in importance within the IT industry. If a candidate wants to demonstrate security knowledge to the Kubernetes community, this certification is a good option.
The candidate will be evaluated in the following categories for the CKS exam:
- 10% Cluster Setup
- 15% Cluster Hardening
- 15% System Hardening
- 20% Minimize Microservice Vulnerabilities
- 20% Supply Chain Security
- 20% Monitoring, Logging, and Runtime Security
To be able to take the Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS) exam, a candidate must first meet the following prerequisites:
– Candidate must have a Kubernetes Certification at the Associate or Professional level.
– Candidate must have a valid CNCF ID.
– Candidate must agree to the CNCF Code of Conduct.
– Candidate must have a passing score on the qualifying exam.
If Candidates meet all of the above prerequisites, they will be able to register for the CKS exam.
Following is the critical information about CKS Exam
Preparing for Kubernetes Certification Exams
Candidates will need a lot of academic and practical preparation time. Many successful engineers spend approximately four months getting ready, putting in two to three hours a day of study. Always remember that the CKA and the CKAD are not the same. The CKA covers several cluster-related installations, configuration, and component topics. The CKAD, on the other hand, does not discuss cluster configurations but does call for a thorough comprehension of how clusters operate.
Below are the steps for preparing for the exams
- Recognize the ideas and employ the cluster effectively.
- Follow the tasks provided by Kubernetes
- Experiment with kubectl to parse results.
- Use of resources for the exam preparation
Certified Kubernetes Administrator vs. Developer
There are presently two paths for Kubernetes certification: a developer path and an administrator one.
The developer career path focuses on creating and running Kubernetes applications. Individuals may choose to concentrate on the developer path if they are or aspire to be a developer, deployment specialist, or DevOps engineer in the Kubernetes ecosystem.
On the other side, the administrator path concentrates on creating and maintaining the Kubernetes environment. Consider the administrator career path if the individual is more interested in operations- or security-focused roles.
Kubernetes Certification Advantages
Below are some Kubernetes advantages:
Be Apart from the Pack.
A Kubernetes certification enhances the appearance of a candidate’s CV and helps them stand out from the crowd. Their knowledge will be a valuable advantage as businesses depend more and more on k8s.
Gain a Wage Raise
Candidates have a great chance of getting a higher income if they have a prestigious certification like the CKA or CKAD. Companies looking for k8s engineers are willing to pay more because passing these examinations is not a simple feat. The certifications demonstrate that they are not only seasoned but also have a thorough understanding of the platform.
Realize Personal Development
On a personal level, passing these tests is rewarding since it makes up for the time a candidate lost studying and preparing. A candidate might even shift their attention to another skill set after that.
Acquire Expertise in Kubernetes
Kubernetes principles become easy to understand and virtually automatic after passing the exam. The joy of learning K8s is impressive and priceless.
Numerous Kubernetes certifications can be obtained, each with unique advantages. All Kubernetes certifications, however, can support Candidates in validating their abilities and knowledge and proving their dedication to the platform. Individuals may demonstrate to potential employers that they are equipped to work with this cutting-end technology and keep on the leading edge in the rapidly evolving field of cloud computing by earning a Kubernetes certification.